This chicken with creamy mushroom sauce is a flavorful dinner that the whole family will love. I used my electric skillet to make this chicken dinner, but you can use whatever skillet you have.
Easy Chicken Dinner the Family Will Love
Many of our favorite meals involve chicken, so it’s no surprise that this is one of them.
My husband used to tease me and ask, “What kind of chicken are we having tonight?”
That’s not far from how things are around here, but I actually do cook other foods. It’s just that chicken is so versatile.
This dish is one of the most comforting chicken meals I cook.
When we sit down with this in front of us, we both feel that all is right in the world. Seriously.
We love the blend of flavors from the mushrooms, onions, and garlic along with the creaminess.
Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
Of course, you’ll need chicken. Fin fact, you can use whatever chicken you happen to have on hand.
For this recipe, I used skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs because they retain their juiciness.
You’ll also need sliced mushrooms, chopped onions, and minced garlic.
Half and half, chicken broth, and butter make the sauce.
It’s up to you how much salt and pepper to add—or if you want to add it.
We like a little bit, but that’s definitely a matter of personal taste.
For exact measurements of each ingredient and full directions, go to the recipe card at the bottom of the page. You can even print out the card by using the “print” button.
How to Make Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
First of all, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
Or if you prefer, you can grease your pan with whatever oil you have. Some oils add more flavor, while others let the chicken and other ingredients take center stage.
Next, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in your skillet on medium-high heat.
Place the chicken skin side down in the butter and cook it until the skin is brown.
Flip the chicken over and brown the other side. That takes about 5 minutes.
Once it’s brown on both sides, transfer it to the casserole dish. It’s best if you can put it in a single layer, but it’s okay to overlap it a little.
Place the chicken in the oven and bake for about half an hour.
While it’s cooking, make the sauce. This is the fun part.
In order to do this, melt the remaining butter in the skillet. Swirl the skillet to make sure the entire bottom is covered.
Then, add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté until the onions are translucent.
Turn the heat down to medium-low.
In a medium-size bowl, whisk the chicken broth, half and half, and cornstarch.
Next, pour the mixture into the skillet and stir in with the onions and mushrooms. This is actually good as it is, but it’s even better with more seasonings.
Add the thyme, salt, and pepper and cook until the sauce reaches your desired thickness. Stir it frequently as it cooks.
Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer it to the skillet so it can cook some more.
The creamy sauce that surrounds the chicken is oh-so delicious, but resist the urge to eat it before it’s done.
Finally, spoon the mushroom sauce over the chicken. This is a quick process.
You can serve this by itself with a side salad, with rice, or over noodles.
It’s delicious no matter how you have it.
Or if you want even more creamy deliciousness, make this no-churn strawberry ice cream. It’s super easy to make, but it needs at least 6 hours in the freezer.
- 6 chicken thighs (skin-on and bone-in)
- 1-1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1 cup of half and half
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray nonstick cooking spray in a 7” x 11” or 8” x 8” casserole dish.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet.
- Place the chicken skin-side down on the skillet and brown it on medium-high heat. Turn it over and brown the other side.
- Transfer the chicken to the casserole dish and bake it for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook on medium-high heat until the onions are translucent. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk the cornstarch, chicken broth, and half and half. Pour the mixture over the onions and garlic.
- Add the thyme, salt, and pepper to the mixture and stir.
- Simmer until the sauce is at the desired thickness.
- Remove the chicken from the oven.
- Add the chicken to the mushroom sauce in the skillet and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Serve alone, over noodles, or with rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 431Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 201mgSodium 440mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 33g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.