This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
This homemade slow cooker potato soup is another recipe requested by one of my readers. I haven’t made this soup in decades, and I think I’ve only made it once or twice. So I had to wing it by adding ingredients that I thought sounded good together.
Although I had a hunch it would be good (after all, how can it not be with bacon and cheese?) I wasn’t sure. And to my delight, it came out absolutely delicious!
Homemade Slow Cooker Potato Soup on a Cold Day
There is absolutely nothing better than a hot bowl of potato soup on a cold day. As the temperature drops, so does our desire to eat soup or chili. One of our favorites is this delicious bean soup that is delicious with a side of my friend Julie’s corn bread from her blog Back to My Southern Roots.
First, start with 2 bags of frozen diced hash browns. Next, you’ll need chicken broth, cream cheese, and cream of mushroom soup. Then add some chopped celery, carrots, and bacon.
I also added frozen chopped onions and shredded cheese, but they’re not in the picture. My husband and I like the extra flavor.
How to Make Homemade Slow Cooker Potato Soup with Bacon
After you spray the slow cooker pot, dump everything into it. It’s that easy. Put the lid on the pot and cook on high for an hour. Stir the ingredients well and cook another 3 hours on low.
After it’s done, garnish with whatever you like. You can use chopped scallions or chopped tomatoes. Or you can sprinkle it with more cheese, crumbled bacon, and parsley. Another option is to let each person in the family doctor up their potato soup the way they want it.
More Recipes and Dessert
There are so many things you can eat with your potato soup. If you like soup and sandwiches, try this super easy-to-make chicken salad. It’s delicious between two slices of bread.
Or you might prefer something lighter, like a side salad. This tomato cucumber corn salad is wonderful.
If you enjoy something sweet after dinner, try this delicious pineapple upside down cake. It’s easy to make in a rice cooker, and it comes out perfect every time. Another dessert you might like is this caramel apple pizza.
I like to serve potato soup in extra large mugs that you can get from Amazon or the Dollar Tree. Unfortunately, the Dollar Tree sells out of their oversized mugs quickly. But fortunately for me, the manager of the store where I shop in North Carolina made sure I got these. Thanks, D’Juan!
- 2 bags of frozen diced hash browns (not shredded)
- 1 carton (4 cups) of chicken broth
- 1 block of cream cheese (8 oz.)
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 2/3 cup of chopped carrots
- 2/3 cup of chopped celery
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 8 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2/3 cup of shredded cheese (cheddar or Colby jack)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker pot. Pour all of the ingredients into the pot.
- Turn the slow cooker on high for 1 hour. Remove lid, stir, and replace the lid.
- Turn the slow cooker down to low and cook for an additional 3 hours.
- Serve hot!
Garnish with more shredded cheese and crumbled, cooked bacon
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Jumbo Soup Bowl and Cereal Mugs Wide Ceramic Mug Set of 4, 24 Ounce, By Bruntmor (Multi-Color)
- Silicone Cooking Utensils Kitchen Utensil Set - 11 Pieces Natural Wooden Handles Cooking Tools Turner Tongs Spatula Spoon for Nonstick Cookware - Best Kitchen Tools (BPA Free, Non Toxic)
- Crock-Pot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Oval Portable Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCCPVL600S)
Amount Per Serving Calories 168 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 25mg Sodium 740mg Carbohydrates 8g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 8g