This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Instant Pot Turkey Chili with Beans is one of the most flavorful meals I make. Additionally, it’s super easy to put together, and it’s fast.
When I make chili on the stove or in the slow cooker, it takes hours and hours. Making it in the Instant Pot cuts that time to approximately 20 minutes. In fact, I could have significantly cut the cooking time for this chicken stew with the Instant Pot.
One thing you’ll notice if you look at the picture is that I’m not using the actual Instant Pot. It’s the Crock Pot version that does the exact same thing. When I went to Kohl’s, that’s the one that was on sale. So I looked at the reviews that were just as good, so I bought it.
You can purchase either of these multifunction cookers at any number of places. In fact, I saw the Instant Pot on sale at Walmart last time I was there, and I bought it. So now I have two multi-function cookers, and I like both of them.
Not only can you make turkey chili with beans in the Instant Pot you can also make vegetable soup, homemade bean soup, and much more. As far as I know, anything you cook in the slow cooker can be made in this pot.
Instant Pot Turkey Chili Ingredients
Since this is turkey chili, you need to start with ground turkey. You can make it with ground beef or pork as well, so choose whichever one you prefer.
I include diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, canned chili beans, and chili powder.
I also use either frozen chopped onions or a seasoning blend that has onions in it.
One of my “secret” ingredients for a lot of soups, stews, and sauces is cinnamon. I don’t use much—only a dash to add a little extra flavor.
How to Make Instant Pot Turkey Chili
First, turn the Instant Pot on the sauté setting and brown the meat. If you need to drain it, now is the time to do it. The ground turkey I used was lean, so it wasn’t necessary. I use this hamburger meat chopper to make the job easier.
Next, add the seasoning mix and sauté until the onions are translucent. Turn off the Instant Pot.
Finally, pour in the rest of the ingredients, make sure the vent is sealed, and press the “soup” or “chili” setting. Since everything is already cooked, it doesn’t take long to have delicious chili. The Instant Pot uses pressure to blend all the flavors that would take hours cooked the traditional way.
How Do You Make Chili Thicker?
If you prefer a thicker broth, you can add flour or cornmeal. However, don’t add it directly to the hot chili, or you’ll wind up with clumps. I put a small amount of water in a bowl and add a tablespoon of cornstarch (or flour). Then mix it with a whisk. Once it’s thoroughly mixed, slowly stir it into the chili.
How Do You Tone Down Chili That’s Too Spicy?
It’s easy to get carried away with chili powder. When that happens, add more of the other ingredients, like another can of tomatoes or seasoning blend. You can also add sour cream to each person’s bowl for additional flavor.
Blogs I Follow
As someone who loves to try new foods, I enjoy these blogs:
Back to My Southern Roots
Make It to Friday
Julia’s Simply Southern
Big Bear’s Wife
Mrs. Happy Homemaker
Sweet Little Bluebird
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
The Country Cook
The Pin Junkie
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1 cup of frozen seasoning mix or chopped onions
- 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 large can of chili beans
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder (or more if you like it extra spicy)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of four, cornmeal, or cornstarch (optional for thickening the broth)
- 1/2 cup of water
- Set your Instant Pot, Crock Pot Express, or other multi-functional cooker to sauté.
- Brown the ground turkey, breaking it apart as it cooks. If you have extra grease, drain it and return the turkey to the pot.
- Add the seasoning mix and sauté until the onions are translucent. Turn off the sauté setting.
- Pour the remaining ingredients into the pot.
- Put the lid on the pot, seal the vent, and press the “soup” or “chili” setting.
- After it finishes cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for about 10 minutes. Then you can do a quick release.
- Carefully lift the lid. If you need to thicken it, mix a tablespoon of flour, cornmeal, or cornstarch with 1/2 cup of water. Slowly stir it into the chili.
Top your chili with cheese and serve with chips or cornbread.
Amount Per Serving Calories 656 Total Fat 18g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 80mg Sodium 12928mg Carbohydrates 100g Fiber 14g Sugar 7g Protein 30g
Try These Desserts
After you enjoy your delicious Instant Pot turkey chili, it’s nice to have something sweet. Check out this pineapple upside down cake or my mug cake recipe. If you prefer cookies, you’ll like these flourless peanut butter cookies.