This zucchini tomato casserole is one of the most delicious side dishes I’ve ever made. Even though there’s quite a bit of cheese in this dish, the other flavors come through.
The balance of the meaty zucchini and acidic tomato hits the taste buds just right.
I normally have most of the ingredients for this dish. This time, all I had to purchase was the zucchini.
Since I almost always have large quantities of certain staples, like canned diced tomatoes and cheese, I can always come up with something yummy.
Benefits of Zucchini and Tomatoes
According to Healthline.com, zucchini is botanically a fruit, although typically used as a vegetable. It is loaded with nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Here are some of the things it does for your health:
- Provides antioxidants to help fight free radicals
- Helps reduce blood sugar levels
- Assists with digestion
- Helps improve heart health
- Provides nutrients that help your vision
- Assists with weight loss
Tomatoes are also technically a fruit. They provide your body with lycopene that helps reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. There are quite a few other nutrients in tomatoes that keep you healthy.
What to Serve with a Zucchini Tomato Casserole
The beauty of this delicious casserole is that it does with almost anything. Serve it with chicken, seafood, pork, or steak. It’s even good with holiday food, such as turkey or ham.
You only need a few ingredients for this flavorful dish. Of course, you’ll need zucchini and tomatoes.
It also has Italian seasoning, a couple of types of cheese, and your favorite seasoning. I prefer seasoned salt, but if you don’t have it, use salt and pepper.
How to a Make Zucchini Tomato Casserole
Season the zucchini and steam it until it’s tender. Test it with a fork to see if it’s done.
Next, drain the diced tomatoes and pour them into a mixing bowl.
After the zucchini is tender, drain it and add it to the tomatoes. Mix in half of one of the cheeses.
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish. Finally, top it with the rest of the cheese and bake it until the mixture bubbles and the cheese melts.
Enhancing the Flavors in the Zucchini Tomato Casserole
The zucchini tomato casserole is just about perfect as is. However, if you want even more flavor, try chopping up some jalapeno peppers and toss them into the mixture.
For a hint of sweetness, add a tablespoon or two of honey. Also try maple syrup for a totally different sweet flavor.
I used Monterey jack and Parmesan cheeses. You can use one or both of them.
Another thing you can do is to try a variety of cheeses, depending on what you have in the fridge. Don’t be afraid to experiment. After all, if you like the flavor of the cheese, chances are, it’ll be good in this dish.
Delicious Desserts and More Recipes
If you need to make something for a buffet or potluck, try some of these 12 best side dishes. They’re easy to make, and they’re also crowd-pleasers.
- 1 pound of zucchini cut into 1-inch spears
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained (plain or with peppers)
- 1 cup of shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste (or use seasoning salt)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a medium oval casserole dish or 8” x 8” pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drain the tomatoes and pour into a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Season the zucchini with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and steam until tender. Drain the zucchini pieces and add them to the tomatoes.
- Stir in 1/2 of the Monterey jack cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top. Add the rest of the Monterey jack cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until cheese melts and starts to turn a light golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Gourmet Home Products 136744 Polypropylene Batter Bowl Set with Non Skid Bottom, 4 Piece , White
- Kitchen Utensil Set, CROSDE 15pcs Cooking Utensils Set Silicone Kitchen Tools Wooden Spatula Set Cookware Turner Tongs Spatula Spoon Kitchen Gadgets with Holder - Teal
- Pyrex 2-Quart Oval Glass Bakeware Dish
Amount Per Serving Calories 123Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 24mgSodium 351mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 8g