This savory beef and rice casserole has quickly become one of our favorite comfort foods. It also goes with quite a few different side dishes and salads, such as this yummy chickpea salad.
This dish came about when I had to peruse the pantry and create something out of what we had. Not surprisingly, it’s now on our dinner rotation along with other favorites like this lemon chicken.
Some of my recipes are passed down from my family, while others are my own creation. Regardless, there are as many variations out there as there are cooks.
If you want to add something extra to this already delicious dish, try adding some chopped tomatoes. Or you can spoon some salsa over the ground beef and rice.
Savory Beef and Rice Casserole Ingredients
One of the beautiful things about this dish is that it doesn’t have many ingredients. You’ll need ground beef, white rice, onion soup mix, water, and French-fried onions.
You can also add mushrooms if you want. I typically would, but we’re almost out of them, and I need them for tomorrow’s supper.
For exact measurements of each ingredient and full directions, go to the recipe card at the bottom of the page. You can even print out the card by using the “print” button.
How to Make Savory Beef and Rice Casserole
I always like to preheat my oven before I start putting everything together. Then I spray my casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Now it’s time to prepare the food. First, you’ll need to brown the ground beef, breaking it up as you go. Pour that into the casserole dish and spread it out.
Next, pour the rice over the ground beef. Do this as evenly as possible.
Then mix the water and packet of onion soup mix and stir.
Pour it over the ground beef and rice.
Since you want the rice to cook evenly, put a sheet of aluminum foil over the top. This helps hold the heat in to cook the rice.
Bake for half an hour on 350. Remove it from the oven.
Finally, sprinkle the French-fried onion rings over the top. Put it back in the oven without the foil.
Cook for another 10 minutes, until the onions turn golden brown. Serve with a side vegetable or this delicious tomato cucumber corn salad.
If you like this beef and rice casserole, you’ll probably enjoy this ground beef stroganoff. It’s rich, tangy, and delicious!
Since I enjoy trying new recipes, I made this everything-bagel seasoned chicken on a whim. It was so good!
My husband and I try to eat or drink a lot of fruits and vegetables, so we often have smoothies. Our latest favorite is this banana berry smoothie.
Another smoothie you might like is this skinny peach Greek yogurt smoothie from the Call Me PMC blog. It’s rich in flavor and texture, so you’ll enjoy every last drop!
See this recipe shared at Full Plate Thursday.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 cup of uncooked white rice
- 1 package of onion soup mix
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of French-fried onions (the crunchy kind in a can)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray the bottom of a 7”x 11” rectangular, 8” x 8” square, medium-size oval, or round casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet and drain. Pour it into the casserole dish.
- Pour the rice over the ground beef.
- In a separate bowl, mix the water with the onion soup mix. Pour it over the rice and ground beef.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the crispy onions over the top. Return the dish to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a side vegetable or salad.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Silicone Cooking Utensils Kitchen Utensil Set - 11 Pieces Natural Wooden Handles Cooking Tools Turner Tongs Spatula Spoon for Nonstick Cookware - Best Kitchen Tools (BPA Free, Non Toxic)
- Trudeau Melamine Mixing Bowls, Set of 3
- Pyrex Oval Casserole
- Pyrex Basics Clear Oblong Glass Baking Dishes - 2 Piece Value-plus Pack Set - 1 Each: 2 Quart, 3 Quart
Amount Per Serving Calories 299Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 67mgSodium 231mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 22g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.