This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
This creamy cool fruit salad is actually more of a dessert than pre-dinner course or side dish. But it has fruit, so you can call it a salad if you want.
Almost every potluck I’ve gone to has ambrosia on the salad table. Although I love coconut, a lot of people pass it up because they don’t care for it.
So I took the same recipe I used to use and left out the coconut. Without the coconut, it no longer qualifies as ambrosia, but I think it tastes just as good.
My husband likes it too. In fact, I think he loves it based on how quickly it disappeared.
Even though it’s very sweet, you still get the benefits of the fruit. According to the National Institutes of Health, fruit contains quite a bit of dietary fiber as well as many of the vitamins and other nutrients that you need in order to stay healthy.
Creamy Cool Fruit Salad Ingredients
In order to make this heavenly dessert-salad, you need three cans of fruit. After all, it is called fruit salad. You also need vanilla pudding mix, marshmallows, and whipped topping.
I like to top it off with pecans and halved maraschino cherries to make it pretty. But you can leave it as-is or add whatever you like.
It’s your fruit salad, so make it your own with toppings you love. That’s what I do when I make any recipe.
For exact measurements of each ingredient and full directions, go to the recipe card at the bottom of the page. You can even print out the card by clicking on the “print” button.
How to Make Creamy Cool Fruit Salad
First, drain the cans of pineapple chunks and mandarin oranges. But leave the liquid in the fruit cocktail.
Next, pour all of the fruit into a mixing bowl. You’ll have the juice from the fruit cocktail.
Then, sprinkle the pudding mix over the fruit. Stir well.
Next, scoop the entire container of whipped topping into the mixture. Then pour the mini marshmallows into it.
Stir the ingredients until you have everything coated.
Finally, pour the mixture into a serving bowl. Because this is such a pretty dessert-salad, I like to use a clear bowl so the contents are visible from the side.
If you want to garnish this delicious cloud-like mixture, sprinkle halved maraschino cherries and pecans over the top. Or add whatever works for you.
Although this is called a fruit salad, as I mentioned above, it’s obviously more of a dessert. So if you want a real salad that you can eat before or with your meal, try this delicious chickpea salad or this delightful Greek olive and feta salad.
We had it after eating this ground beef stroganoff that has become one of our favorite go-to dinners.
- 1 small box of instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 can of fruit cocktail (not drained)
- 1 can of drained pineapple chunks
- 1 can of drained mandarin oranges
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- 1 small container of whipped topping
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup of maraschino cherries cut in half
- Pour all of the fruit into a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the pudding mix over the fruit.
- Add the whipped topping to the bowl and stir until all of the fruit is coated.
- Add the marshmallows and fold it into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a serving bowl. Sprinkle the chopped pecans and cherry halves over the top.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Home Hero Silicone Cooking Utensils Kitchen Utensil Set - 8 Natural Acacia Wooden Silicone Kitchen Utensils Set - Silicone Utensil Set Spatula Set - Silicone Utensils Cooking Utensil Set
- Trudeau Melamine Mixing Bowls, Set of 3
- Set of 3 | 10-inch Vista Plastic Serving bowls, Salad and Snack Bowl, for Side Dishes, Round
Amount Per Serving Calories 125Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 124mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 21gProtein 1g