This air fry fryer grilled cheese sandwich recipe is easy and so delicious. After all, what’s better than grilled cheese and tomato soup?
Air fryers make cooking your favorite foods so much easier. Whether you’re enjoying a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, dinner, or an afternoon snack, you’ll want to try this method of making it.
Air Fried Food
Since air fryers are small convection ovens that cook food quickly, efficiently, and easily, they’re a major plus to add to any kitchen. In fact, many people claim that they’ve quit—or almost quit—using their regular ovens.
Most air fryers offer a variety of options, including baking, roasting, toasting, and “frying.” However, the only setting I use is “air fry.” That’s because it does everything I want without having to figure out which button to push.
Here are some of my other favorite air-fried foods:
- Ranch Air Fryer Chickpeas – Such a delicious and fun crunchy snack!
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken – Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside! Yum!
- Zucchini Fries – What a delightful way to eat your vegetables!
- French Fries – Some of the best fries I’ve ever tasted, so yes, please!
- “Boiled Eggs” – Um, yes, you can air fry eggs to make them taste like they’re boiled. And they come out perfect every single time!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
There are certain ingredients you must have in order to make grilled cheese sandwiches. Here’s a list:
- Any kind of bread (gluten-free for me and regular sandwich bread for my husband)
Since I’m usually one to tamper with recipes, I like to add a few other ingredients. Here are more things I put inside my sandwiches:
- Tomato slices
- Jalapeno peppers
For exact measurements of each ingredient and full directions, go to the recipe card at the bottom of the page. You can even print out the card by using the “print” button.
How to Make an Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Making a grilled cheese sandwich in an air fryer is so easy you can practically do it in your sleep. Before you begin, go ahead and preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees F.
Now it’s time to assemble the sandwiches. First, butter all 4 slices of bread but only on one side.
If you want to add mayonnaise, do it now. I didn’t put any mayo on mine because I used a lot of butter on the outside.
Secondly, place the cheese on the unbuttered side of 2 slices of bread.
If you’re only adding cheese, close the sandwich by putting the other 2 slices of bread on top.
Since I wanted some add-ons, I started out with half of the cheese. I added the thinly sliced tomatoes to the cheese and then I put some jalapeño pepper slices on top.
Then I put the rest of the cheese on top of the add-ons.
You can put all of the cheese on the bottom or top, but I think it helps the sandwich stick together when. you have it touching both slices of bread.
Next, arrange the sandwiches in the basket of the air fryer.
Make sure there’s enough space around them for the air to circulate.
Cook for 5 minutes. Check to make sure the top slice of bread is toasted to your liking. If it’s not, cook for another minute.
Then, flip the sandwiches so they can cook on the other side for a couple more minutes.
My air fryer cooks hot, so the sandwiches were done after 2 more minutes.
Again, if they’re not done, cook them for another minute.
These sandwiches are good when served with chips or this delicious homemade cream of tomato soup.
We like to dunk the sandwiches in the soup, but that’s up to you.
See this recipe shared at Full Plate Thursday.
More Delicious Recipes
I have so many favorite recipes it would be impossible to name them all here. But I do have some recent favorites I’d like to share.
This Parmesan potato bake is an easy side dish that delivers all the flavor you need to take any meal to the next level.
If you like one-pan meals, you’ll love this yummy stir fry beef and broccoli. Serve it on rice or all by itself. The bonus is how easy this is to clean up later.
Anyone who enjoys a sweet and savory combination will love this Crock Pot Hawaiian chicken dinner. Add rice or noodles and a green vegetable, and you have a delicious and colorful meal.
If you like to try different sandwiches, try this classic reuben sandwich from Julia’s Simply Southern.
What do you do with leftover or canned chicken? I make this amazingly easy and delicious chicken salad, either for sandwiches or to add to vegetables.
Easy Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
An air fryer takes your favorite grilled cheese sandwich to a whole lew level of yumminess.
- 4 slices of bread (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 ounces of cheese (any kind)
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Butter all 4 slices of bread on one side only.
- Place the cheese on the unbuttered side of 2 slices of bread and cover with the other 2 slices of bread, unbuttered sides toward the cheese.
- Arrange the sandwiches in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Turn the sandwiches over and cook for an additional 2 minutes. (Your air fryer might not cook as hot as others, so you might need to cook the sandwiches for an additional minute on each side.)
- You can use any kind of bread, including sandwich bread, gluten-free bread, sourdough, Italian bread, French bread, or whatever you prefer.
- If you want to shred the cheese first, that’s fine. However it will melt more quickly and can get quite messy, so check on it after the first 3 minutes in the air fryer.
- If you want more flavor in your grilled cheese sandwich, add some thinly sliced tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, or anything else that can handle the heat from the air fryer.
- Some people enjoy adding a layer of mayonnaise to the bread, so if you’re one of them, go right ahead and do that.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Vortex Air Fryer 4 in 1, Best Fries Ever, Roast, Bake, Reheat, 6 Qt, 1700W
Ninja Max XL Air Fryer that Cooks, Crisps, Roasts, Broils, Bakes, Reheats and Dehydrates, with 5.5 Quart Capacity, and a High Gloss Finish
COSORI Air Fryer Max XL(100 Recipes) Electric Hot Oven Oilless Cooker LED Touch Digital Screen with 13 Cooking Functions, Preheat and Shake Reminder, Nonstick Basket, 5.8 QT-Black
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 382Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 59mgSodium 581mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 12g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.
Wednesday 6th of April 2022
Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday, 582. Hope you are having a great week and come back to see us real soon! Miz Helen