This 3-ingredient pumpkin cake recipe couldn’t be easier. Not only is it super simple, but also it is scrumptious.
It will quickly become one of your favorite desserts. Leave it as is or add cream cheese frosting.
Whether you want something to serve for dessert or you like a sweet afternoon snack, this is ideal. It’s also a great afternoon snack.
If you ever want to bring something to a get-together with friends, this makes an excellent coffee cake.
3-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake in an Hour
Have you run into someone you haven’t seen in a while? Go ahead and invite her over for cake and coffee. The 3-ingredient pumpkin cake recipe is so easy you can make it on the spur of the moment.
Throw the ingredients into a bowl, mix them up, put them in a pan, and bake. After it comes out of the oven, it only needs a few minutes to cool before you add cream cheese icing and serve it.
Your kids will be delighted if they come home to a treat of a slice of pumpkin cake, these fruit kabobs, and a glass of milk. You’ll love the cake with a cup of coffee or tea.
To Frost or Not to Frost
This cake is delicious without anything else on it. However, if you love icing on your cake, I recommend keeping it simple and using cream cheese frosting that’s ready-made.
I have to admit that although I like it either way, I prefer it plain. It’s also good with just a very thin layer of icing.
Or you can spritz a bit of whipped cream on top to dress it up a bit.
Benefits of Pumpkin
According to Healthline.com, pumpkin is extremely nutritious. Here are some of the benefits of pumpkin:
- Pumpkin has a high amount of antioxidants that help fight cancer and other diseases.
- It’s loaded with vitamins—especially vitamin A.
- The combination of vitamin A and vitamin C helps protect your immune system.
- Vitamin A and lutein found in pumpkin are good for eye health.
- It also contains quite a bit of fiber and potassium—both good for your heart.
Ingredients in 3-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake
As the name implies, this cake only has 3 ingredients: pumpkin, cake mix, and pumpkin pie spice. That’s all.
You’ll notice that I used a gluten-free cake mix, but a regular mix comes out the same. It’s just nice to know that everyone has options.
How to Make 3-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake
Put all of the ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl.
Stir well until there are no lumps left in the cake mix.
Spread evenly in a baking dish or pan.
Bake until it’s done. You can use the toothpick or knife test to determine whether or not the cake is done. Insert it in the middle of the cake and pull it out.
If it comes out clean, it’s done. If there is still some gooey cake mix on the toothpick or knife, stick it back in the oven for a few more minutes.
Pumpkin Cake Add-Ons
You can serve this pumpkin cake either as-is, or you can add more ingredients for additional flavor and texture.
- Here are some things you can add to the cake mix or on top of the frosting:
- Pecans or whatever nuts you have on hand
- Seeds—sunflower or pumpkin
- Chocolate chips
- Coconut, either right out of the bag or toasted until crunchy
- Sprinkles to decorate for a birthday or holiday
Whether you serve this to your family for dessert, the kids when they get home from school, or your friends when they stop by for coffee, you’ll love this easy yet versatile pumpkin cake.
More Delicious Desserts and Snacks
If you enjoy treating your family and friends to dessert and snacks, you’ll love these:
Peanut butter cookies without flour – These gluten-free treats are delicious and actually melt in your mouth.
Chocolate walnut pie – Make this yummy pie with a regular or gluten-free pie crust. It’s super easy and only takes a few minutes from start to finish.
Mug cake – This is the perfect dessert to serve when everyone prefers a different flavor.
Granola Fruit Crisp – Serve this variation of the old-fashioned fruit cobbler with ice cream. This is another dessert that is quick, easy, and only has a few ingredients.
3-Ingredient Chocolate Cake — Enjoy this delicious flourless cake with a light dusting of powdered sugar or your favorite frosting.
For even more wonderful recipes for desserts, meals, and snacks, check out Weekend Potluck at South Your Mouth, Meal Plan Monday at Southern Bite, and Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage.
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (regular or gluten-free)
- 1 can of pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not the pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray the bottom of a 7” x 11” baking dish or pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the cake mix, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice in a medium-size bowl. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the baking dish.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool before serving.
You can make a thinner cake in a 9” x 13” baking dish or pan. If you do this, cut 5 minutes from the cooking time and take it out of the oven after 25 minutes. Test it by inserting a toothpick. The cake is done when the toothpick comes out clean.
Serve warm or allow it to cool and top with your favorite frosting. I like cream cheese frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Wilton Recipe Right Non-Stick 13 x 9-Inch Covered Oblong Baking Pan, Set of 2 Pans with Lids
- Pyrex Basics Clear Glass Baking Dishes - 2 Piece Value-Plus Pack - 1 Each: 3 Quart Oblong, 2 Quart Square
- Silicone Cooking Utensil Set, AILUKI Kitchen Utensils 14 Pcs Cooking Utensils Set,Non-stick Heat Resistant Silicone,Cookware with Stainless Steel Handle - Grey
- Gourmet Home Products 136744 Polypropylene Batter Bowl Set with Non Skid Bottom, 4 Piece , White
Amount Per Serving Calories 168Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 318mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 1gSugar 19gProtein 2g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.