This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
This 3-ingredient chocolate cake was only supposed to have 2 ingredients. However, it didn’t exactly turn out that way for me.
I’ll explain later. In the meantime, though, I have to tell you that the cake was delicious!
About a month ago, one of my readers commented on the fact that I always offer tips on how to make these recipes gluten-free. She mentioned that there was a flourless cake I might enjoy, and she sent me some links to recipes.
So I clicked on the links and saw that it was truly a thing. But I didn’t do anything about it right away because I had other recipes I wanted to post.
Then she emailed me and asked if I planned to include this recipe. For that reason, I decided to give it a try, and I’m glad I did!
Ingredients in a 3-Ingredient Chocolate Cake
The original 2 ingredients – chocolate chips and eggs – sounded too easy. However, since I used milk chocolate chips, the chocolate didn’t melt like I wanted it to.
So I added 2 tablespoons of full-fat cream, stirred, and stuck it back in the microwave. That worked.
I think that if you use semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can get away with not adding the cream.
But my husband doesn’t care for semi-sweet chocolate, so I made it with milk chocolate.
How to Make a 3-Ingredient Chocolate Cake
First, melt the chocolate chips in 30-second increments, stirring in between. If you use milk chocolate chips, add the cream.
For semi-sweet chocolate chips, this isn’t necessary. Then set the melted chocolate aside.
Separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the whites until they form a soft peak.
Slowly add the egg yolks to the chocolate, stirring constantly.
Next, fold the chocolate and egg yolk mixture into the beaten egg whites. Mix until you have a consistent milk-chocolate color.
Finally, pour the mixture into an 8” cake pan and bake for 30 minutes.
If you want to garnish your cake, sprinkle it with powdered sugar. You may also frost the cake, but I like the lighter texture with the powdered sugar.
More Delicious Recipes
I love making and sharing super quick and easy recipes that anyone can follow. That’s why I focus on the “express” part of Southern Home Express.
One of my favorite dessert recipes is this one for pumpkin bars. It’s delicious year-round, but it’s typically a favorite on a holiday dessert table.
Another favorite dessert recipe I enjoy is this pineapple upside down cake. Since it’s made in the rice cooker, it stays moist. People are always surprised when I tell them what I baked it in.
One of my favorite desserts is this lemon meringue pie. It’s easy to make, and it’s a real people pleaser.
If you’re going to a party, bring these delicious no-bake rum balls. They’re always a huge hit at any gathering.
- 9 ounces of chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of cream (if using milk chocolate chips but not with semi-sweet chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray the bottom of an 8” cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate chips (and cream if using) in the microwave in 30-second increments. Stir the chocolate until it’s smooth.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Beat the whites until they form a soft peak.
- After the chocolate cools to slightly warmer than room temperature, pour the egg yolks into it, stirring continuously.
- Gently fold the yolk and chocolate mixture into the beaten egg whites until you have a uniform color.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Gently turn the cake upside down onto a large plate or cake platter.
- After the cake has completely cooled, you may serve it as-is or sprinkle a light dusting of powdered sugar over the top.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you use semi-sweet chocolate chips, omit the cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 202 Total Fat 13g Saturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 97mg Sodium 40mg Carbohydrates 21g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 18g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 5g