This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
These no-bake rum balls are so good people have asked me to bring them to parties. In fact, many years ago, my husband’s assistant requested a second batch after trying one at the office celebration. Of course, I obliged. The following year, he reminded me that he loved rum balls.
There isn’t much rum in these rum balls, but since it’s not baked, the alcohol remains. So I don’t recommend giving them to children. If you want them to be child-friendly, use rum flavoring instead.
Although these no-bake rum balls are easy to make, they’re pretty messy. As a matter of fact, I think anything with powdered sugar is messy because it’s light as air and drifts. Any time I use it, I wind up with it all over me. But that’s okay. That’s what a shower is for.
These rum balls are a great party food. You can make them any time of year, but they’re particularly welcome at a holiday party. If you have time, make one of these 3-tiered platters and display them on top.
Ingredients in No-Bake Rum Balls
In order to make rum balls, you need vanilla wafers, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and pecans. Those are the dry ingredients. You also need corn syrup and rum.
Make sure you understand that corn syrup is completely different from cornstarch. So don’t get them mixed up, or your rum balls won’t be moist enough to form them into balls.
How to Make No-Bake Rum Balls
Mix the crushed vanilla wafers, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, chopped pecans, corn syrup, and rum.
You can use light or dark corn syrup. Since I couldn’t find the light, I picked up the dark.
Pinch off pieces of the batter and form them into small marble-sized balls. Roll them in the powdered sugar and set them on a plate.
After a few minutes, roll the balls in the powdered sugar again for a second coating. Allow them to rest for a few hours before serving.
More Great Recipes
If you like party food, check out these stuffed mushrooms. Make sure you have at least 3 or 4 per person at the party. They’ll disappear quickly, so maybe you need to make even more.
This spinach dip is another party favorite. You can serve it either hot or cold, so it’s easy to serve for a variety of get-togethers.
We also enjoy these mini stuffed peppers. They’re great for the party table, but they also make a great main course for a meal.
If you’re looking for more sweet treats, check out the recipe for this creamy orange fudge. It is so good! I’m thankful to the person who asked me to make it. And if you like it, take a look at these 3 fudge recipes that are all super easy to make.
- 2-1/2 cups of crushed vanilla wafers
- 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons of corn syrup (light or dark)
- 1/2 cup of rum (or 1/4 cup of rum flavoring + 1/4 cup of water - see notes)
- Additional powdered sugar for the coating
- In a food processor, crush the vanilla wafers until they are fine crumbs.
- Combine the crushed vanilla wafers, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, chopped pecans, corn syrup (not corn starch), and rum.
- Stir until mixed. I used my hands because it’s much easier.
- Pinch off pieces and roll them into balls the size of a large marble. Roll each on in powdered sugar.
- Set them aside on a plate. Let them rest for about 10 minutes and then roll them in a second coating of powdered sugar.
- It’s best to wait a few hours before eating. It takes a little while for all of the flavors to bloom.
If you prefer bourbon balls, all you have to do is substitute bourbon for the rum.
If you don’t want the alcohol, you can also use rum flavoring instead, but cut the amount in half. I recommend tasting them and adjusting the amount of rum flavoring because the strength varies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 250 Total Fat 9g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 69mg Carbohydrates 38g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 30g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 1g