Make better hot chocolate from a mix to go with your cold-weather snack. Sure, you can make it from scratch, which is what we often do. However, next time you make it from a powdered mix, you should at least give this a try to see how delicious and different it is.
Delicious Drink Recipes
There are so many different foods and drinks that can affect our moods, and this delicious hot chocolate is one of them. In fact, if I’m miserably cold and need comfort, I often turn to hot chocolate.
Sometimes I follow the instructions on the package, and it’s good. But it’s so much better if you add a few ingredients.
I also enjoy this yummy coffee smoothie. It’s cold, but I still like it year-round. It’s a flavor-packed wake-me-up that also delivers a boatload of nutrition.
If you want a delicious drink with antioxidants during cold and flu season, try this creamy banana berry smoothie. It gives your body some of the ammunition to stay healthy and avoid sickness.
Better Hot Chocolate From a Mix Ingredients
Based on the title of this post, you know it includes hot cocoa mix. I always keep packages of it on hand because you never know when a chocolate craving will strike.
Here’s what you need to kick this delicious treat up another notch:
- 1-1/2 cups of milk (any kind you prefer) – I used regular whole milk.
- 2 single-serve packages of hot chocolate mix – Any flavor (milk chocolate or dark chocolate) is good.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract – You can add even more if you want, but you need at least a teaspoon per two cups to get the extra flavor.
- 1 teaspoon of chocolate syrup – A little chocolate is good, and more is better. At least that’s how we roll.
- Whipped cream for garnish – Whipped cream makes any sweet treat better, right? Or you can use marshmallows if you want.
For exact measurements of each ingredient and full directions, go to the recipe card at the bottom of the page. You can even print out the card by using the “print” button.
How to Make Better Hot Chocolate from a Mix
Get all of your ingredients and tools ready so you don’t have to pause to look for them. I’ve been frustrated more than once because I couldn’t find something I needed.
Heat the milk in a small pot until it is extremely warm but not boiling, since you don’t want it to curdle.
Pour the hot chocolate mix directly into the pot of milk milk.
Stir until it is well mixed.
Add the vanilla extract and also a teaspoon of chocolate syrup.
If you want to add other ingredients, do it now and stir them into the mixture.
Some of the other things you might want to include are peppermint extract, chili powder, or ground cayenne pepper.
There are so many different ingredients you can add. If you like the flavor of something give it a try in a small amount of hot cocoa. Even if it doesn’t sound “normal,” you never know unless you taste it.
After you stir all of the ingredients to mix them, pour it into 2 mugs. My favorite mugs for premium hot chocolate are Irish coffee mugs. They make the experience feel and taste more special.
Garnish the hot cocoa with whipped cream and a peppermint stick. I also drizzled more chocolate syrup over the top.
Another garnish you can add is a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg.
If you’re serving your whole family, put all of the toppings out for each person to add whatever they want.
Is Chocolate Good for You?
According to the Mayo Clinic, chocolate does have some health benefits. Here are a few of them:
- The flavanols in cocoa beans contain antioxidants that assist your cells and keep them healthy.
- These flavanols are heart healthy, help reduce your blood pressure, and are good for vascular function.
- There is some research claiming that moderate consumption of chocolate helps reduce the risk of strokes, heart attacks, and diabetes.
I’ll be the first to admit that I have a lot of favorites. Typically, it’s whatever I’m eating at the moment. So I’m sharing some of my most recent foods here:
- Skillet Sloppy Joes Pasta – Take that flavor that you remember from your childhood and put it in a pan with pasta. No bun needed.
- Slow Cooker Lemon Pepper Chicken – We use our Crock Pot quite a bit, and this is one of our many favorite dishes. I cook with chicken so much that my husband sometimes asks what kind of chicken we’re having instead of what’s for dinner.
- Homemade Marinara Sauce – This is so easy to make you may never want to buy jars of sauce again. Or you can add these ingredients to store-bought sauce to make it even better.
See this recipe shared at Full Plate Thursday.
- 1-1/2 cups of milk (any kind you prefer)
- 2 single-serve packages of hot chocolate mix
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Heat the milk until it is extremely warm but not boiling. You don’t want it to curdle.
- Pour the hot chocolate mix into the milk. Stir until it is well mixed.
- Add the vanilla extract and a teaspoon of chocolate syrup.
- If you want to add other ingredients, do it now and stir them into the mixture.
- Pour it into 2 mugs.
- Garnish with whipped cream and a peppermint stick.
Other add-ons you might like are cinnamon, peppermint extract, cayenne pepper, or chili powder. (Yes, you saw that right. Chili powder is the perfect addition to hot chocolate!)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 203Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 22mgSodium 201mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 10g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.