Slow cooker broccoli cheese soup is an all-time favorite among soup lovers, and there’s a very good reason. Actually, there are several good reasons, including the fact that it’s delicious, comforting, and super easy to make!
Next time you crave a delicious soup that’s easy to make and perfect for any time of year, try this recipe. Chances are, this will become your best broccoli cheese soup recipe—one that your family will ask for over and over and over … You get the point.
Delicious Velveeta Broccoli Cheese Soup
Trust me, this isn’t just any cheesy soup. It’s a creamy, rich cheesy flavor experience that the whole family will love. And the best part? It’s super easy to whip up. So, let’s dive into this great recipe!
First things first, let’s talk ingredients. Some folks might insist on only using fresh broccoli, but I say that frozen is just as good.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Diced onion
- All-purpose flour (regular or gluten-free)
- Black pepper
- Half and half
- Chicken broth
- Chopped broccoli florets (frozen or fresh broccoli florets)
- Cubed Velveeta cheese
While the broccoli provides texture, color, and nutrition, the Velveeta cheese becomes the star of the show.
Add-Ons or Swap-Outs
You can swap out some of the ingredients or add others if you like. Here are some suggestions:
- Swap out the chicken broth for vegetable stock or chicken stock.
- Add a dash of nutmeg for nutty richness
- Use white pepper instead of black pepper.
- If you want extra richness, swap out some or all of the half and half with heavy cream.
- For that extra rich cheesy flavor, add shredded cheddar or cream cheese.
- If your family enjoys a little heat, add hot sauce. Remember that a little bit goes a long way.
How to Make Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
The process is super easy. So there’s never any reason to deny yourself or your family the pleasure of such a delicious soup.
Here are the steps:
First, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and sauté it is tender and translucent.
Next, add the flour, salt, and black pepper. Stir until the onion is coated and continue to cook for 1 minute.
Now slowly add the half and half. Continue to stir as the mixture becomes thicker.
Pour the mixture into your slow cooker. Add the chicken stock and broccoli.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
Remove the lid and add the Velveeta. Stir and pop the lid back on. Cook for another 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
Once the cheese melts enough to stir it into the soup, it is done.
Pro Tips and Options:
If you don’t want large pieces of broccoli florets, you can use an immersion blender to puree them.
Sprinkle in some garlic powder or onion powder for extra flavor.
Top with shredded cheddar cheese and green onions.
To thin out the soup, you can add some whole milk to the soup while cooking.
For an extra treat, pour your delicious soup into a bread bowl. That usually impresses guests. Plus there’s nothing quite like scooping up that cheesy goodness with a piece of a loaf of crusty bread.
If you prefer a lighter option to balance the soup, serve it with a fresh garden salad or this apple spinach salad with pecans.
What to Do with Leftover Broccoli Cheese Soup
Chances are, you won’t have leftovers. But if you do, you can store it in the refrigerator.
Allow the soup to come to room temperature. Pour it into an airtight container and put it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Or you can put it into freezer bags and store it in the freezer. If frozen, it should be good for a couple of months. It’s perfect to pull out of the freezer for a delicious lunch.
More Soup Recipes
If you like soup as much as my family does, you’re probably always looking for more options. Here are some of the ones we enjoy:
Homemade Bean Soup – You’ll love the warmth of homemade bean soup, a hearty blend of tender beans, fresh vegetables, and aromatic herbs simmered to perfection.
Easy Vegetable Soup – It’s easy to get the family to eat their veggies when you serve this yummy vegetable soup!
Beef and Cabbage Soup – This is a rustic, nourishing meal that’s perfect for chilly days, bringing traditional flavors to your table with every spoonful.
Cream of Mushroom Soup – Cream of mushroom soup is a velvety blend of earthy mushrooms and rich cream, a comforting classic that warms the soul. Serve it as a starter or a main dish.
Slow Cooker Potato Soup – When you want comfort food, make this easy and delicious potato soup in your slow cooker. The family will love it!
Black-Eyed Pea Soup – If you enjoy southern food, you’ll love this delicious black-eyed pea soup recipe from Back to My Southern Roots. Rich with hearty flavors, this one is sure to please everyone at the table!
Cream of Tomato Soup – Cream of tomato soup is so delicious when it’s homemade. Enjoy it with the traditional grilled cheese sandwich or your favorite salad.
Instant Pot Lentil Soup – Filling, flavorful, and oh-so fabulous, you’ll love this wonderful lentil soup. This was made in an Instant Pot. But if you have time, you can cook it on the stovetop.
Comforting and Delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup
So now you have a homemade version of broccoli cheese soup that rivals even Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup. It’s a great recipe that’s packed with much flavor and simple ingredients, and is sure to become a comfort food staple in your home.
The next time you’re looking for an easy soup to warm you up, remember this slow cooker broccoli cheese soup with Velveeta. Enjoy every bite!
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (regular or gluten-free)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cup half and half
- 1 carton chicken broth (32 ounce carton)
- 2 bags frozen broccoli florets, thawed (12 ounce bags)
- 1 package Velveeta cheese, cubed (16 ounce package)
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter.. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until tender.
- To the saucepan, add the flour, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring to coat the onion in flour, for 1 minute. Slowly add the half and half, stirring constantly as the mixture thickens.
- Pour the cream mixture into the slow cooker and add the chicken stock. Then, add the broccoli.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add the Velveeta to the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve the soup with the broccoli in florets or use an immersion blender to puree part of the soup. Top with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
If the taste of the Velveeta is too overwhelming, stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese to offset the flavor. Cooking on high is not recommended as the soup might separate and/or the edges may burn.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 140Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 35mgSodium 315mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 3g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.