Chocolate peanut butter moose munch is one of those treats you’ll want to make for special occasions … or any time you want something sweet and delicious. It’s easy to make with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
We like a variety of finger foods on the dessert table when we host groups of friends or family. Another delicious treat you may enjoy is a bowl (or two or three) of these yummy chocolate covered pecans.
I highly recommend reading this entire post before you begin preparing the recipe. However, if all you want is the list of ingredients with full directions, please either click on the jump-to-recipe button above or scroll to the bottom of this post.
Sweet Treats for Holidays and Special Occasions
I’ve always enjoyed an occasional sweet treat, but they were pretty much only brought out for special events. Then I married a sugar addict who expected dessert after every single meal.
At first, I balked, saying we didn’t need that much sugar. It took a few years, but we finally got to the point of compromising.
I make them for holidays and special occasions. And I keep a few sweets in the house for those times when one of us has cravings. To my surprise, I reach for them almost as often as my husband now.
Some of our favorites are these flourless peanut butter cookies that are by nature gluten-free and this chocolate chip fluff dip for cookies or fruit.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Moose Munch Ingredients
This is one of those treats that you can purchase at the store but prefer to make at home. First of all, it’s more economical to have it homemade.
Secondly, you know what’s in it when you make it yourself.
And finally, you can make as much or as little as you want, so it’s always fresh.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 cups of popped popcorn (air-popped or stovetop popcorn)
- 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (any brand, as long as it isn’t the kind with oil that rises to the top)
- 8 peanut butter cups, chopped (optional)
If you don’t have the peanut butter cups or can’t run out to get some, that’s fine. You can add roasted pecans or peanuts if you have them. Or you can leave it out.
If you want a printable recipe card with the exact ingredients, measurements, and directions, you’ll find one at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Moose Munch
Before you even get started, make sure you have all of the tools and ingredients you need. Otherwise, you might find yourself scurrying around looking for things, taking way more time than this recipe calls for.
First, put the popcorn in a large mixing bowl. You can use store-bought popcorn, air-popped popcorn, or this delicious buttery-tasting popcorn.
Try to resist the temptation to snack on the popcorn now. Or if you can’t help but munch, you can make a little extra.
Secondly, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Microwave them in 30-second increments, stirring between each session. Do this until they are melted.
Next, drizzle the chocolate-peanut-butter mixture over the bowl of popcorn. Stir carefully until the popcorn is mostly coated.
Now, let the coated popcorn set until firm. I spread it out on a baking sheet and put it in the refrigerator to speed up the process.
Pour the set moose munch back into the bowl. Finally, add the chopped peanut butter cups and give it all a quick stir.
It is now ready for your munching pleasure.
If you have a lot of people to serve, you can double or triple this recipe. What I prefer to do is make several batches because it can become rather messy to toss double the amount of popcorn and chocolate.
Try Different Flavors
Most of the moose munch I’ve seen in the stores has a combination of caramel and milk chocolate, which is good. You can also use white chocolate or butterscotch.
If you’re hosting an event, your guests will be impressed if you offer a variety of homemade moose munch flavors. You can also make up little bags to put in gift baskets for friends and family members.
See this recipe shared at Weekend Potluck.
More Delicious Treats
There are so many yummy treats that are super easy to make. My thought is to offer a variety of sweets so everyone can choose what they like.
Here are more of our favorites:
- Pecan Brownie Cookies – You start with a mix, add a few more ingredients, and you wind up with a to-die-for cookie packed with all the yumminess you can imagine.
- Butterscotch Pecan Cookies – The combination of flavors in this treat will send your senses into orbit.
- Candied Pecans – This stovetop method of making this sweet treat makes it fast and simple. And you’ll be amazed by how good they are.
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies – Add some color to your dessert table with these red velvet cake mix cookies from my friend Julie’s blog Back to My Southern Roots.
- Peanut Butter Fudge Bars – If you like the peanut-butter and fudge combination, this is another way to enjoy it.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Moose Munch
- 4 cups of popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 8 peanut butter cups, chopped (optional)
- Put the popcorn in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Microwave in 30-second segments, stirring in between, until they are melted.
- Pour the chocolate-peanut-butter mixture into the bowl of popcorn. Stir until the popcorn is mostly coated.
- Allow it to set until the chocolate is firm. You may put it on a tray and refrigerate it to speed up the time.
- Add the chopped peanut butter cups and serve.
You may try different flavored chips to make a variety of moose munch treats.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 185Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 1mgSodium 111mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 14gProtein 3g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.
Saturday 26th of December 2020
Oh my goodness, yes I will have a bowl full of this treat! Hope you had a great Christmas and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday,516. We hope to see you back here again soon! Miz Helen
Monday 21st of December 2020
YUM! I can see all three of us getting instantly addicted to this. It has all of our favorite snacking vices in it!