If you think a cheesy Mexican chicken casserole recipe with Doritos sounds good, you’re right! It’s absolutely delicious!
Packed with all kinds of Tex-Mex flavors, this recipe will make your taste buds very happy. And once the family takes a bite, you’ll be a hero!
Imagine tender chicken chunks mixed with a cheesy sauce layered on top of crunchy Doritos. It’s the ultimate comfort food that’s laced with yummy Mexican spices. And it’s super fun to eat!
I’ve included details, pictures, and helpful tips throughout this post. However, if you’re in a hurry and simply want to get to the recipe, you can click on the jump-to-recipe button beneath the title at the top of this page.
One-Pan Mexican Doritos Chicken Casserole
You’ll be delighted to know that this is a Mexican chicken casserole dish that the whole family will enjoy. I’ve made it with a variety of ingredients, and this is my favorite recipe I’ve tried. It’s a cheesy casserole that will quickly become a comfort food. And you’ll love the leftovers! In fact, it’s just as good the next day after you heat it up.
This is one of those easy dinners that we like to fix on Taco Tuesday. You can even use the casserole to fill taco shells if you like. Another delicious dish is this fiesta chicken and rice casserole! You can’t go wrong with either of these wonderful recipes!
Tools You’ll Need
You don’t need a lot of equipment to make this delicious casserole. Here are the tools you’ll need:
- Large bowl
- Large spoon
- Casserole dish
Other tools that will help are a couple of forks for shredding the chicken and a sharp knife for cutting the vegetables.
Simply looking at this list of ingredients makes my mouth water. You’ll be happy to know that you can find everything at any grocery store.
Here’s the list of what you’ll need.
- Crushed Doritos
- Shredded cooked chicken (leftover rotisserie chicken or canned chicken)
- Chicken broth
- Chopped onion
- Diced bell pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Can of cream of chicken soup (10 ounce can)
- Can of Ro-Tel tomatoes (10 ounce can)
- Chili powder
How to Make a Cheesy Mexican Chicken Casserole with Doritos
All of these steps are easy as long as you follow the directions. It’s a fun recipe for the kids to help you make because you’re basically just stirring and assembling. First preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray the bottom of a 7” x 11” casserole dish or baking pan.
Pour the crushed Doritos into the bottom of the greased pan. Spread them out evenly. This forms the first layer of your creamy chicken casserole.
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, chicken broth, onion, bell pepper, and half of the cheese. Mix well. The wet ingredients helps create a juicy chicken base. Pour the juicy chicken mixture over the crushed Doritos and spread evenly, being careful not to displace the chips.
In a medium bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, Rotel tomatoes, and chili powder. Mix it up. Pour the soup mixture over the juicy chicken mixture and spread it out evenly.
Place the pan on the center rack of the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve hot.
Additional or Alternate Ingredients
If you want to change things up a bit, there are other things you can swap out or add. Here are some we like:
- Instead of cream of chicken soup, use cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of sour cream or softened cream cheese to the soup mixture.
- Use Monterey Jack cheese instead of cheddar.
- Try different flavors of Doritos, such as nacho cheese Doritos or cool ranch Doritos. Original Doritos make a delicious casserole, but it’s fun to try different variations.
- You can also use regular tortilla chips instead of Doritos. I’ve done this many times, but there’s obviously more flavor when you use spicy and crunchy Doritos.
- Mix some black beans, green onions, black olives, bell peppers, and green chiles into one of the layers for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Spread a layer of refried beans over any of the other layers.
- Use browned ground beef instead of chicken. Or use ground turkey. Yes, I know it won’t still be a Mexican chicken casserole, but it’ll still be delicious!
- Sprinkle a little hot sauce if your family likes more heat. We like medium heat, so I only use a little Tabasco.
- Add extra cheese if you’re a family of cheese lovers.
If you have more chips, sprinkle a few remaining crushed Doritos over the top, either before or after the top layer of cheese.
Sides and Condiments to Have on the Table
It’s always fun to have additional sides and condiments on the table. It’s a great way for everyone to personalize their portion of the cheesy Dorito chicken casserole.
Here are some delicious extras:
If you have any favorite taco toppings, include those. Add whatever your family likes, and this will wind up being a family favorite meal on busy weeknights.
More Delicious Tex Mex Dishes
If you’re a fan of south-of-the-border food, you’re probably like me—always on the lookout for something new.
Here are a few of our favorites:
Tex Mex Ranch Potatoes – This is a delicious side dish that also makes great leftovers!
Beef and Bean Enchilada Casserole – After I discovered this recipe, I’ve been able to satisfy my Tex Mex cravings without having to go anywhere.
Tex Mex Salad – Nutritious and loaded with a burst of flavor, this is one salad you’ll want to make often!
Taco Bell Baja Sauce – Add this copycat sauce to anything to get the flavors you enjoy! We like it on tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and anything else that needs extra flavor.
Easy 3-Ingredient Ro-Tel Chili Recipe – This is the perfect chili to make on busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to simmer other types of chili.
Southern Style Spicy Mexican Cornbread – Add a little southernness to your Tex Mex with this delicious cornbread recipe from Julia’s Simply Southern.
Burrito Casserole – I love this recipe for those times when I’m pressed for time. Simply pull frozen burritos out of the freezer, put them in a casserole dish, and add a few ingredients. Dinner will be ready in a matter of minutes!
Taco Truck Creamy Green Sauce – There’s a reason this sauce is so popular: It’s absolutely delicious. And you can add it to any food for that delicious south-of-the-border flavor!
Burst of South-of-the-Border Flavors
This Mexican chicken casserole with Doritos is a tantalizing fusion of flavors and textures that never fails to satisfy those who enjoy great food. This dish delivers the essence of comfort food with a south-of-the-border twist. Whether it’s for a weeknight dinner or a potluck gathering, this casserole is a crowd-pleaser.
- 2 cups crushed Doritos
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (10 ounce can)
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes (10 ounce can)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease the bottom of a 7” x 11” pan or casserole dish.
- Pour the Doritos into the bottom of the greased pan. Spread them out evenly.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, chicken broth, onion, bell pepper, and half of the cheese. Mix well.
- Pour the chicken mixture over the crushed tortilla chips and spread evenly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, Rotel tomatoes, and chili powder.
- Pour the soup mixture over the chicken mixture.
- Place on the center rack of the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 437Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 31mgSodium 889mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 14g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.