One of my all-time favorite snacks for home TV viewing and parties is the Chex party mix.
Homemade Chex Mix Snack
This Chex mix recipe is super easy and something you can get your kids to help you make.
I’ve enjoyed Chex party mix since the very first time I ever ate it. That’s because it has the perfect balance of salty and spicy.
The only problem is that so many times it’s loaded with ingredients containing gluten, and I’m gluten-intolerant. But that’s an easy fix.
I decided to make my own with gluten-free Chex mix ingredients. Basically, I only had to do 2 things: eliminate the wheat version of cereal and swap out the pretzels.
What’s cool about that is no one can tell the difference, and I’m able to enjoy it along with my friends.
Since I add more Corn Chex and Rice Chex, you still get the same amount of these little squares of deliciousness.
And the gluten-free pretzels taste exactly the same as the regular ones, according to everyone who has tried my version.
Plus people are always happy when I bring homemade Chex mix to any event. In fact, people have told me that my party mix is better than most.
If you still have room on the snack table, you’ll also want to add these yummy rotisserie chicken nachos.
Chex Party Mix Dry Ingredients
Most recipes for the original Chex mix include corn, rice, and wheat flavored Chex cereals.
Since the only one containing gluten is the wheat, I leave out the wheat variety as I mentioned earlier.
When you add more Corn Chex and Rice Chex, no one will know the difference.
I used to have to leave out the pretzels, until the Glutino food company started making gluten-free pretzel rods. I’ve tried other brands in the past couple of years–all of them good.
Because of this, I can have the full party mix experience. I’ve seen gluten-free twisted pretzels, but they’re not always available.
Other Chex Party Mix Ingredients
The other ingredients in the mix are typically gluten-free. Butter doesn’t have gluten, and I purchase Worcestershire sauce that doesn’t have gluten.
You can use whatever type of nuts you prefer, including mixed nuts.
However, as a southern girl whose parents and grandparents had pecan trees in the yard that was the most natural nut for me to use.
Unfortunately, we don’t have pecan trees, so I have to buy them.
I add seasoned salt to bring out the flavor of all the ingredients. Even more important to my taste buds, I add cayenne pepper to give it a little extra zing.
It’ll make you thirsty, but it’s always a good idea to drink more water anyway. So go for it!
Perfect for All Special Occasions
Make more than you need so you’ll have plenty to serve guests when they pop over for a visit.
You’ll also enjoy this sweet and salty snack mix that adds another layer of deliciousness.
Whether you’re hosting a New Year’s party at home or you’re going to a friend’s house for the Super Bowl, double this Chex party mix recipe and bring it to share with everyone.
You’ll also want to make a delicious cheese ball and bring some crackers. Another delicious party food is this Holiday Cheese Ball from Back to My Southern Roots.
See this recipe shared at Full Plate Thursday.
- 2 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups Corn Chex
- 1 cup pecans (or mixed nuts if you prefer)
- 1 cup gluten-free pretzel rods
- 4 tablespoons butter (less if you prefer lower fat)
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder (more if you like it super spicy)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Add the Corn Chex, Rice Chex, nuts, and pretzel rods to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter. Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and cayenne powder to the butter.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients. Stir well, being careful not to break the pieces.
- Pour the coated mixture onto an ungreased baking sheet and spread into a single layer.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Stir carefully and put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place baking sheet on a cooling rack. Cool for 15 minutes.
Store in an air-tight, sealed container for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Kitchen Utensil Set, CROSDE 15pcs Cooking Utensils Set Silicone Kitchen Tools Wooden Spatula Set Cookware Turner Tongs Spatula Spoon Kitchen Gadgets with Holder - Teal
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
- Gourmet Home Products 136744 Polypropylene Batter Bowl Set with Non Skid Bottom, 4 Piece , White
Serving Size1/3 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 203Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 12mgSodium 355mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 3g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.