This hash brown recipe with sour cream is amazingly delicious and so easy to make. Dive into yumminess as you take your first bite, and you’ll certainly want to clean your plate and get seconds.
I think it’s perfect for holiday dinners, family meals, or any time you just want a wonderful side to enhance the main dish. Just make sure you have enough for leftovers because it’s just as good the next day.
Whether you’re enjoying this amazing dish for breakfast or as a side dish for dinner, you’ll love the creamy flavors that join together to delight your tastebuds. The entire family will love it and probably ask for it again in the near future.
For exact measurements of each ingredient and full directions for this comforting side dish, go to the recipe card at the bottom of the page where you’ll find the full printable recipe.
Hash Brown Casserole Dish
This yummy hash brown casserole dish will delight everyone at the table. It is the perfect side dish that’s loaded with all of the goodness you expect. Serve it with everything from coconut shrimp to meatloaf.
If you’re looking for something to add to your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, I highly recommend this cheesy casserole. In fact, it’s perfect for any special occasion or holiday meal.
One of the best things about making this cheesy potato casserole is that all of the ingredients are easy to find at any grocery store. It’s such an easy recipe with all simple ingredients.
Here are the items you’ll need:
- Sour cream
- Can of condensed cream soup (cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped onion
- Frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- Garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
If you don’t want to use canned soup, you can make this super easy homemade cream of mushroom soup.
How to Make Hash Brown Casserole
First, preheat your oven to 350˚ F. Grease a 7” x 11” casserole dish with butter or cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the condensed soup, sour cream, onion, garlic powder, 1/2 cup of the cheese, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
Now pour the thawed hash browns into the soup mixture and gently fold them in. As you combine the hash browns with the creamy sauce, you’ll be tempted to taste some. Try to hold off.
Next, pour the mixture into the greased baking dish.
Put the pan in the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top of the casserole.
Return the pan to the oven for another 10 minutes, until the cheese melts and becomes a light golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes before serving. It will still be hot.
If you want to garnish, sprinkle with parsley, green onions, or chopped tomatoes over the top of the casserole.
Variations of This Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
This recipe is delicious as-is. However, there are other things you can do to change things up. Here are some ways you can do that:
- Add browned ground beef to the mixture, either in a layer on the bottom or in the mixture to make it a one-pan meal.
- Sprinkle extra cheese over the top. This can be more cheddar or shredded mozzarella. It’s fun to try different cheeses to see which ones your family prefers.
- If you want more onion flavor, add onion powder to the mixture.
- For extra crunch, sprinkle potato chips over the casserole for a crunchy topping.
- Use shredded sweet potatoes or Tater Tots instead of thawed hash browns.
What to Do with Leftover Hash Brown Casserole
Chances are, you won’t have a lot of leftovers when you make this delicious casserole. However, if you do, cover the casserole dish and put it in the refrigerator to enjoy the next day.
Or if you think it might be a while, put the remaining portions in an airtight container. Label it with the name of the contents and date, and stick it in the freezer. It should be good for a couple of months.
Thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight to make heating it up easy. You can either use the microwave or oven. Just make sure that you use containers that are microwave or oven safe.
More Easy Dishes That Go with a Hash Brown Casserole
Whether you’re cooking a big meal for a lot of people or simply a family dinner, you’ll want other dishes that taste good but don’t require hours of toiling in the kitchen.
Here are some wonderful foods that go with cheesy hash browns for a complete meal:
Pork Chops – These grilled pork chops are the perfect main dish to go with a hash brown casserole. You can grill them outdoors or inside, whichever way you choose. They’ll be absolutely wonderful!
Garlic Lemon Chicken Thighs – When you’re looking for tons of flavor, this is the main dish for you to try. It’s a family favorite at our house.
Air Fried Frozen Green Beans – Pop open a bag of frozen green beans and pour them into your air fryer. You’ll have the most delicious, crispy green beans in a matter of minutes.
Sour Cream Cheddar Biscuits – If you’re looking for melt-in-your-mouth goodness, check out this amazingly easy recipe from Julia’s Simply Southern. These biscuits add the perfect touch to any meal.
Air Fried Frozen Broccoli – Air frying broccoli brings out all of the wonderful flavors of this nutritious vegetable. All you need are a few simple ingredients and an air fryer.
Roasted Parmesan Carrots – This is a fabulous side dish that even the pickiest eaters will love. Don’t be surprised if the kids ask for seconds!
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
Next time you go to a potluck, bring this easy casserole. It will be a big hit at family gatherings, church dinners, and any other get-together with family or friends.
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom soup)
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cups southern-style hash browns, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease 7” x 11” baking dish.
- In large bowl, combine sour cream, condensed soup, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, onion, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add thawed hash browns. Gently fold them into the sour cream and soup mixture.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining shredded cheese over the top.
- Return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese melts and turns a light golden brown.
- See garnish ideas in the notes below.
- Serve hot.
If you want to garnish this yummy casserole, try one or more of these ingredients after the casserole comes out of the oven:
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped parsley
- Green onions
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 331Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 24mgSodium 968mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 7g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.
See this recipe shared at Full Plate Thursday.