This parmesan potato bake is a wonderful side dish that goes with any meat. With a yummy blend of garlic, onion, and parmesan, the flavor is off-the-charts amazing.
I love potatoes of all types, so I’m always experimenting with new recipes—some from friends or family and others that I come up with on my own. I also take traditional recipes and tweak them.
This parmesan potato bake idea started with a recipe from a church cookbook. I added a couple of ingredients to make it even better.
My husband and I both love these buttermilk garlic mashed potatoes. They’re creamy and packed with so much deliciousness you’ll definitely want seconds.
We also enjoy these fun and festive Tex Mex ranch potatoes. In fact, I like them so much I’ve eaten them as meal, with nothing else.
I think that potatoes are delicious with any kind of cheese, so I knew I would like this dish. Since parmesan has such a distinctive flavor, I like to serve it with lightly seasoned steak, chicken, or fish.
When I looked at the original recipe, I thought it looked good. But I also felt that it could be so much better with more than one form of garlic, a couple of types of parmesan cheese, and some thyme.
It is so delicious, but if you want to change something else to suit your family’s taste, go for it. As soon as you cook this dish, it becomes your recipe.
I placed a printable recipe card with the ingredients, measurements, and complete directions toward the bottom of this post.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this yummy parmesan potato bake:
- Potatoes cut into 1/4” rounds
- Thinly sliced onion
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Minced garlic
- Garlic powder
- Dried ground thyme
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
You can adjust any or all of the ingredients by adding, subtracting, or substituting. I do that all the time, and I think that’s the best way to discover new recipes.
Prepare to Cook
Gather all of the ingredients and put them close by so you don’t have to look for them while you’re cooking.
I’ve gotten so distracted in the past that I messed up entire meals, simply because I couldn’t find something I needed.
There are a couple more things to prep for this dish. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
How to Make Parmesan Potato Bake
Now it’s time to put everything together. It’s not difficult, so relax and enjoy the process.
First, combine the sliced potatoes and onions in a large bowl. Secondly, add the olive oil and toss the potatoes until they are all well coated.
Next, get a small bowl.
Combine the grated parmesan, minced garlic, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and thyme. Stir until everything is mixed.
Now it’s time to put it all together in the casserole dish. Start by putting a layer of potatoes and onions in the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle 1/3 of the parmesan and garlic mixture over the top.
Add another layer of potatoes and onions, followed by more of the garlic and parmesan mixture.
Repeat these steps until all of the potatoes, onions, and seasonings are in the casserole dish. Finally, sprinkle all of the shredded parmesan cheese over the top.
Cover the casserole with foil.
I lightly spray the underside of the foil with nonstick cooking spray to keep the topping from lifting off when I remove the foil.
Place the covered casserole in the oven and bake for an hour. It won’t be long before the aroma starts to waft through your house.
After an hour, remove the foil and return the casserole to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
This potato dish is best served hot.
If you’re cooking for a large crowd, you can double the recipe and bake it in a larger casserole dish.
More Delicious Recipes
My husband and I are both foodies, and we love a variety of foods. Although we’re both from the South, we enjoy dishes from all over the world. Many of the recipes you’ll find here are inspired by foods from other countries.
Here are some of our most recent favorites:
- Easy Homemade Salsa – This easy and budget-friendly dip is perfect for chips, veggies, and crackers. Bring it to any party and watch it disappear.
- Crock Pot Lasagna – Take your favorite Italian dish to the slow cooker and let do all the work while you go about your busy day.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Moose Munch – Sometimes you just need a scrumptious snack, and this one has some of our favorite flavors.
- Orange Creamsicle Chiffon Pie – This delicious dessert is from my friend Julia’s blog, Julia’s Simply Southern. It’s simply heavenly. And southern. And so good!
- Candied Pecans – If you like sweet and crunchy treats, you’ll love these candied pecans. I used to make them once a year, but now that pecans are available year-round … well, I have them whenever the craving hits.
- Pineapple Pie – Cool and refreshing, this sweet and tart pie is the perfect way to end a meal.
- 4 medium potatoes, sliced into 1/4” rounds
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray the inside of a 1-1/2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes with the onions. Add olive oil and toss until everything is well coated.
- In a small bowl, combine grated parmesan, minced garlic, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Mix well.
- Place a layer of potatoes and onions in the bottom of the casserole dish. Sprinkle 1/3 of the parmesan and garlic mixture on top.
- Add another layer of potatoes and onions, followed by more of the parmesan and garlic mixture.
- Continue to do this until all of the ingredients are in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the shredded parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and return to the oven for another 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 336Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 19mgSodium 962mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 5gSugar 3gProtein 12g
The nutrition information is a product of online calculators. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates.